Sunday, July 11, 2010

How Time Flies When You Are Having Fun

My, how time flies. It's hard to believe that 7 weeks have gone by since the last great adventure of our trip to Europe. We knew that once we got back from that trip we would have to begin the work of preparing for our next adventure.

The Des Moines Register's Annual Bike Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI) is an adventure that we look forward to, but it is one that requires hard work if one wants to enjoy the week. I suppose it's possible to ride your bike for 7 days, average 70 miles a day, across Iowa without doing any training miles on your bike beforehand. But I don't think it would be an enjoyable week if you weren't in shape.

Lee and I plan to be in shape and we have done a good job putting in the training miles. It's not always fun to get out and pedal, especially after a hard day of work or when it's a sweltering 90+ degrees in the shade or when you know there's just a limited number of places to ride and you're tired of the same old streets and bike paths. But after doing a ride you always feel good that you made the effort and each ride that we take we can feel ourselves getting stronger.

For Lee, the RAGBRAI adventure will begin after church next Sunday when he will leave on his drive to West Virginia, Ohio, and on to Iowa. That gives him a week to visit family on the way. Me...well, I will need to keep working for that week and then July 24 I hop on a plane and fly out to Sioux City, Iowa, where Lee and I will meet up with each other.

Stay tuned. If I don't get a chance to post anything here between now and the first day of the ride I will definitely begin a daily posting once the ride starts on July 25--only two weeks away!

No comments:

Post a Comment