Thursday, July 28, 2011

2 intrepid riders

5th day out on RAGBRAI for me and thousands of other riders. Not everyone is able to take off work to ride the whole 7 days. It's still possible to participate in some of the RAGBRAI fun. Take, for example, my son and my husband. These 2 intrepid riders wanted to do the Friday and Saturday rides with RAGBRAI. But to get here to Grinnell, Iowa, the Thursday overnight town, they had to start at daybreak this morning in Iowa City and pedal their bikes and gear 80 miles to get here to Grinnell.

The ride from here back to Coralville tomorrow is the longest ride of the whole week. As hot as the weather has been this week, I tried to talk them out of their plan. It seemed like too much to try and accomplish. But they triumphed and rolled into town early in the afternoon.



The first thing Lee did was collapse under the nearest shade tree. You can tell he was happy to finally be here. And I was happy that they had safely made it in.




My ride today had been much shorter, although, it was quite hilly again. Lee and Mike encountered some major thunderstorms but I only got rained on for a short stretch.

We are camped on the Grinnell campus in a very nice area. The new Aquatic Center on campus was open for showers and they were some of the best showers I have ever had on RAGBRAI.

The tent is set up and it looks like a thunderstorm is close, so it's time to head back to camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment