Saturday, July 2, 2011

July 4th Weekend


No, we're not in Iowa yet. This photo was taken today on a training ride on the W&OD bike trail, which is where we do most of our riding. The western end of the trail in Loudoun County goes through farm country and I couldn't resist stopping to take a picture when I saw this cornfield next to the bike trail. It's such a reminder of RAGBRAI.

July 4th weekend is traditionally the time to find a day that I can prove myself capable of doing a 70-mile bike ride. The total number of training miles reached so far is important, too, but there's something about knowing that you can sit on the bike all the hours required to do 70 miles that makes you confident that you are ready for RAGBRAI.

This year it's convenient that the 4th is on Monday, giving us a 3-day weekend. The weather was perfect today and I wanted to have the test out of the way early in the weekend so I decided to ride the 70 miles today. Lee had to work this afternoon and if he wants to do a 70 mile ride before RAGBRAI he will pick another day, maybe next Saturday.

I left right after breakfast, 7:00am, and was home by 1:30pm, none the worse for wear. I think that's record time for me. All of the extra miles this year gained by being able to ride my bike to work have made a noticeable difference. The nice weather should continue through the weekend and now that the hard work is finished I'm looking forward to relaxing and doing more bike riding in the next couple of days only if I feel like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment