Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Who is Blake?


You think riding a bike across Iowa would be hard? Well, then, how about riding your skateboard across Iowa? This picture is actually the second person I've seen skateboarding this year on RAGBRAI. His story was featured in yesterday's newspaper. I highly recommend checking out his website (whoisblake.com). Check out the video, too.

I had a chance to chat with Blake a few minutes as I was riding along next to him. At that point we were about 10 miles away from the ending destination of Boone, Iowa. The major obstacle for today had been overcome. I couldn't imagine how Blake could have rode that skateboard up and down all the hills we encountered Sunday and Monday, but he did. I was curious about how he did "Twister Hill", that major obstacle behind us today. He said he did have to walk up that one.

There were a lot of bicyclists who had to walk up "Twister Hill." I'm happy to report that I wasn't one of them. It was harder than any hill so far, but I struggled my way up in the very lowest gear and finally made it to the top.

Other than the one big hill, it was fairly level riding. The day was long and the sun was hot, but, all in all, enjoyable riding. It's time now to see what the town of Boone has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. Go go go! You are doing awesome! I cannot fathom a skateboarder on the hills you describe. That pie'n'ice cream almost makes the whole thing worthwhile, right?!

    Good luck today!!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete